Children come to this kindergarten as capable, competent learners it is our role to provide an environment which enables them to demonstrate their mastery of their world.
JJ McMahon Memorial Kindergarten encourages children to:
– Acknowledge our first nation’s people. We come together on Wurrundjeri land and pay our respects to elders past, present and future.
– View themselves as respected participants in our community. Kindergarten translates as ‘child’s garden’. The rights of our children, as enshrined in the United Nation’s Convention 1989 are the focus of our centre.
– Independently manage their own safety through ‘risky play’ and through the use of real tools, to seek out challenges and learning in a way which respects themselves and others.
– Manipulate their environment to enhance their learning; our aesthetics and play spaces are determined by the children for the children.
– Develop an understanding of what it is to be in a community and the rights and responsibilities of group living.
– Feel a sense of belonging and community through whole group times and eating.
– Discover the richness and cultural diversity of our world through an inclusive bias free curriculum accepting of individual background and abilities.
– Explore our natural playground. Children are expected to connect with the natural environment in all weathers with messy, barefoot play encouraged in all weathers.
– Expand their learning through child led and intentional teaching and develop a lifelong disposition for learning.
Our curriculum is developed from the national EYLF and state VEYLDF. Intentional teaching is delivered by staff in the environment of an emergent curriculum. Our teachings are informed by the work of leading educational theorists and we are inspired by Froebel, Montessori, Reggio Emilia, Steiner and Teacher Tom Hobson in particular.
We believe parents are their child’s first teachers and proudly uphold the tradition of the parent run kindergarten. Parents and families are always welcomed and your input is vital to your child’s success. The sense of community your family develops with us here will last a lifetime.